Puppy First-Aid Kit
Home • Puppy Articles • First-Aid Kit for Puppys
Suggested Items For Your Puppy's First-Aid Kit:
- 2 rolls of 3” gauze bandage
- 3” X 3” gauze sponges
- Nonstick adhesive tape
- Nonstick bandages
- Antibiotic ointment (e.g. Neosporin, Animax)
- Water soluble lubricating jelly (e.g. K-Y Brand)- to take temperatures and to keep debris out of open wounds
- Sterile saline solution (e.g. those used for contact lenses) - to flush eyes/wounds - DO NOT use Visine, Murine, etc.
- Hydrogen peroxide - to induce vomiting or clean scrapes (Do not use on puncture wounds.)
- Nail trimmers and styptic powder (to stop the bleeding if the nail is trimmed too short).
- Rectal thermometer (dogs’/cats’ normal temperature is 101 - 102.5 degrees)
- Muzzle - the nylon muzzles perferably
- Benadryl or diphenhydramine elixir (12.5 mg/ml liquid - caution: most are 12.5 mg/tsp). 25 mg capsules can be used instead. Dosage = 1 mg/pound. (Not recommended for kittens with a history of seizures.)
- Paper towels - to clean up messes
- Several large plastic bags - to protect your vehicle’s upholstery/house furnishings from blood, urine, feces.
- Clean towels - to restrain your kitten
- Blanket - to keep your pet comfortable as well as warm in the event of shock
- Hot water bottle (a 2-liter bottle filled with warm water can substitute) or a rice-filled stocking (wrap in a towel or slip into a thick sock after warming)
- Pet carrier - to transport small kittens
- A plywood board the appropriate size for both your pet and vehicle - to use in transporting large pets to your veterinarian, especially when a back injury is involved.
***This information was provided by a book entitled: Emergency First Aid for Your Dog by Tamara S. Sherer, DVM. It was published by Ohio Distinctive Publishing, Inc. - 1996. This book provides a lot of valuable information about what to do in virtually every possible emergency situation. If interested in more information:
Ohio Distinctive Publishing
4588 Kenny Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220
Jefferson Animal Hospital is in no way affiliated with Ohio Distinctive Publishing or Doctor T.S. Shearer.