Home • Emergencies
If you live in a tornado or other storm area, you may need to evacuate your family and your pets? You need to keep the following items in a safe area so you can grab it immediately to take to the shelter. If you have your pet on Jefferson Animal Hospital’s computer system, we can print out all your pet’s appropriate medical history to you can tape it to the carrier.
1. Sufficient food to last 7 days (canned or dry in sealed bags). Plan to rotate to insure freshness.
2. Water for seven days. For dogs, this is one gallon per day for a 40# dog and one quart per day per cat.
3. A document with your name, address, phone, your vet's name, address, your pet's picture and your instructions to a possible rescue person. Identify friends, relatives, kennels or veterinary clinics that your pets can stay in the event of a disaster.
4. A document listing your pet's medical history and medications that your pet needs. Mark on your calendar the expiration date so you can make sure medications are fresh.
5. Leashes for both your dogs and cats. Carriers for small dogs and cats in an easily accessible area.
6. ID tags on all your pets attached to a collar. It should have your name, address, phone number, your pet's name and an OUT OF STATE PHONE NUMBER (of a friend or relative that can be contacted in a time of disaster). If your pet is on daily medication, this should also be on the identification tag. Microchip numbers and the phone number of the national registry should be listed.
7. Keep vaccinations current and keep a copy of vaccine dates in your disaster kit.
8. Plastic bags and scoopers to pick up and store pet waste.
9. Extra collars, leashes, and heavy food bowls.
10. Minimal first aid supplies: gauze rolls for bandaging and making muzzles, towels, blankets, manual
EMERGENCY NUMBERS IN EVENT OF AN ACTUAL DISASTER
American Red Cross-Louisville (502) 741-3994 www.louisville-redcross.org
Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS) 1-800-440-EARS www.uan.org
ASPCA POISON CONTROL 1-888-426-4435
National Animal Poison Control Center 1-800-548-2423