Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Halloween is approaching and chocolate treats will be everywhere. Here is what you need to know if your pet gets into chocolate.

Theobromine is the main toxin ingredient in chocolate. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to dogs.  Small ingestion can still cause your dog to become ill from the fat and sugar in chocolate.

Signs your dog can show from ingesting chocolate:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)

Here is a dog chocolate toxicity meter with a list of common chocolate and the amount of Theobromine and caffeine:

Contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline to see if a poisonous amount of chocolate was ingested.